> What I’ve said elsewhere is that what consumers, enterprises, and SMBs all
> need is a healthy selection of services from which to choose.  The problem
> with the entry costs is that you have to be able to leverage a cloud
> infrastructure to play these days.  That’s not cheap.

The main issue is not really „cheap“. As I see it, as an SMB around the world,
you really only have two choices: MS365 or Google. Microsofts licensing makes
self-hosting impractical, and Google is more or less the only (non-self-hosted)
alternative, from a mass-market perspective.

The open source eco-system has failed to produce useful alternatives to
Outlook/Exchange(Online) or GSuite. These are the two reasons why the oligopoly
has won: inferior solutions and very precisely targetted licensing terms (did
you ever try to license a Windows server on a cloud infrastructure to run your
own Exchange? ha, good luck with that…)

— Matthias