Hi

> Is this the new world?
>
> A given mailhost (ran privately for smaller entities) can't send
> messages to T-Online anymore.

I had a similar problem earlier this year which I couldn't resolve, so I've ended up just accepting I cannot deliver to t-online.de

After some back and forth with (an admittedly very friendly) support person, the thing they got hung up on was that I didn't have my full contact information displayed on a website matching the email domain.

This was for a email-only domain and a personal server with 7 users, and I didn't feel like a) spinning up a webserver, and b) publishing my personal telephone numbers online. After mentioning this to the support person, they also recommended I pay somebody to relay my mail for me. :(

Relevant snippets form the help-desk conversation below the signoff:

Regards,

Johann

--------

T-Online:
"...In particular, we recommend choosing a host name that indicates its
usage as a mail server (eg. mail.example.com) and to ensure the host's
domain leads to a website providing full contact details...." <<--!!

Unfortunately "domain" does not yet meet these requirements
because there is no legal contact information at "domain".

Me:
That's not going to happen, abuse@domain and postmaster@domain are actively
monitored which is good enough for
everybody else, but apparently not for t-online. An unreasonable request if I
may say so.
T-Online:
the IP address <IP> is delegated to your provider and there
is no owner data in the public whois record for your domain.
Thus, the person or company who is responsible for this host is
essentially anonymous to third parties.

Therefore we would expect that there is a page giving full contact
details which can be reached via http://<domain> or
http://www.<domain>

Me:
<domain> is a small mail server. I have 7 users, all of which are members of my immediate family. Exactly whose details are you expecting me to publish? Are you really asking me to post my personal cellphone number and home
address on the internet? Would you publish yours?

I maintain that keeping a careful watch on abuse@ and postmaster@ should be
enough to resolve any email related
problems that may ever arise between yourselves and us.

Of course, you are free to accept or reject any email you like (your network,
our rules), but I would also hope that
 you are in the business of delivering legitimate email to your users.

Thank you for your time.
T-Online:
if you want to run your mail server anonymously (which we would
understand), please relay your mails via a mail gateway of your hoster
or another provider with whom you have a contractual relationship.
(Free mail gateways can also be found on the Internet, e.g. from Gmail:
<https://support.google.com/a/answer/2956491>)