I don't think that is unreasonable ask, especially if traffic from that location triggers or trips a 'suspicious' flag.

In Gmails' case, they as for a SPF record.. everyone can ask for whatever evidence they need to suggest that a responsible party is behind the operation of that mail server..

And given our experience in email threat analysis, (you want a couple thousand examples of throwaway domains being stood up to send spam without an associated URL every day?) we also strongly recommend that as a Best Practice if you want to run an email server, that you do this as well. Was trying to find that M3AAWG document that also suggested that.

Not to say that there aren't some professional spammers who already throw up a fake accompanying website with fake contact information, so it isnt' a perfect solution, but I can understand if they want to vet traffic from a mail server, using that technique makes a lot of sense. (And of course the spammers that forge someone else's domain in their PTR records)

Worst case of course, there are some ESP's that don't do this simple Best Practice, so hopefully T-Online applies the same principles to them as well.

If you can't put up an associated webpage or redirect the URL to your company website, well.. frankly the confidence level in your ability to prevent abuse to our customers from your server drops considerably.

IMHO..

Now I really do have to do, there is this guy with a Gmail account who says he has $2.3M waiting for me..

On 2022-10-21 10:03, Zack Aab via mailop wrote:
Just to throw my experience in the ring in case it's helpful to anyone: I had a sender deliver just fine to T-Online until a couple of weeks ago when they were blocked for (what I determined after conversation with tosa@) not having a website with contact info available at the outbound mta's parent domain name (ehlo outbound._mtaparentname_.com).  Once a website redirect was put up they unblocked.  I'm guessing it's some combination of automated crawling for contact info and manually unblocking the false negatives as they come up (as people who monitor their bounces reach out).
Just my $0.02.
*Zack Aab* (He/him)
Consultant, Packaged Technology Operations, Shift Paradigm
*O* +1 (512) 717-4097 <tel:+15127174097> | *C* +1 (404) 317-6729 <tel:+14043176729> | *W* shiftparadigm.com <https://www.shiftparadigm.com/>

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 12:52 PM Grant Taylor via mailop <mailop@mailop.org <mailto:mailop@mailop.org>> wrote:

    On 10/21/22 10:30 AM, Laura Atkins via mailop wrote:
     > I know a number of mailservers that are able to successfully send
    mail
     > to t-online.de <http://t-online.de> and have never contacted the
    tosa@ address.

    I wonder if that hints at a thus-far un-discussed aspect of T-Online's
    policy.

    There is every chance that T-Online did some sort of analysis of email
    traffic to identify likely legitimate senders and primed their white
    list with those domains / IPs.  E.g. ratio of outgoing messages to
    domains / IPs verses spam complaints therefrom.

    Similarly, I suspect that T-Online also primed their white list with
    the
    email oligarchies.  --  If I can borrow / re-use what I consider to be
    an apt description.

    After all, every single list has to start from something.  Good lists
    organically grow (and shrink) over time as needed.

-- Grant. . . .
    unix || die

"Catch the Magic of Linux..."