On 2022-11-24 14:01, Tobias Fiebig via mailop wrote:

And to circle back to on-topic: The result of that is what then pops up in
/var/log/maillog.
So it isn't about 'should VT change [something]'; It is more 'shouldn't society
change the incentive structure and general setup around academia as a whole'?
I have quite some opinions there, boiling down to the answers 'yes' (and
suspect most here will agree with that).
But that is not really in my power; So I try to do what I can instead
(channeling results of the system into a more manageable frame, while trying to
teach those students I directly work with at the institution I am at).

At the risk of being frowned down upon for this for being arguably off topic or mean-spirited, I feel I must venture an opinion, even as a tiny operator, because I have had extensive experience with how academia works and have dealt with this repeatedly.

This "oh what can I do, woe is me" responsibility-diffusing rhetoric belongs with junior, recently hired teaching assistants, not professors with tenure. Isn't it professors who, after all, in fact run the universities? Who provides and sets the academic standards and practices, if not they? Who populates the commitees? Or do we further diffuse responsibility for bad research practices up to the govenment, another academic trope? Who is this "academia"?

How about a more honest: "This is how the questionnaire is and will remain, we have no time to change it now, feel free to not fill it in. We'll do better next time" and be done with it? Because I didn't see any willingness to change something in the questionnaire in light of the criticism in this forum.
* How about adding info to/changing the upfront consent statement?
* Making questions optional is not really confidence-inspiring, feels like a quick fix solution to "get on with it", a practice I've seen used when there is no time to go over and redo a questionnaire due to having to get it through committees again. * You claimed GDPR work was done. Is surveymonkey more GDPR-compliant than Google forms? How about using your own self-hosted platform, for example? They're zero cost, secure and easy to set up and I would trust something you self-manage more. Surely you have the know-how.

All that said, I am all for research on the subject of mail protocols and practice and sincerely hope this work produces useful results, hopefully also truly representative of practice in the field. Good luck to you.

Best Regards,
G. Miliotis