Though it's possible that you may see this more with governments and such, I've not noticed that anyone significant blocks their own traffic outbound to OVH, except for a couple of military contractors (which isn't my definition of significant to any average person). If they block anything it's usually blocking their own inbound email which came from an OVH IP, rather than their own outbound email headed toward an OVH IP.

On 2023-01-17 20:34, Alberto Abrao via mailop wrote:
Hello,

first message to this list. I have been lurking for a while, and I learned a lot here. Thank you.

I operate a personal e-mail server, and, as soon as I started self-hosting, I requested a static IP from my ISP, moving records as I changed to a different provider.

During the move, I was relying on the "retry" period of the SMTP protocol, which worked just fine.

Still, it generates an error message to the sender. I was looking to "split" my server, having the MX (inbound) at a cloud provider (OVH), and keeping outbound SMTP on the IP provided by my ISP.

I see many posts saying that e-mails from cloud providers such as OVH are blocked outright by many. That had me wondering if it's a good idea to proceed with this plan, as I may not be able to receive messages from senders under these operators.

That'd assume the block is inbound and outbound, instead of inbound-only. Is that the case?

One more thing, would a set up like this interfere with my "score", so to speak?

Once again, thank you.

Kind regards,
Alberto Abrao