On 3/9/23 9:45 AM, Michael Peddemors via mailop wrote:
Yes, it's called 'rwhois'.  Of course, linode can SWIP the larger portions, with a clear indication of what parts of the IP space are used for what.

I've opened multiple support tickets with Linode over the years asking for SWIP and / or RWHOIS and they have always responded that they do not support that.

Do you have evidence to the contrary showing that they do support SWIP and / or RWHOIS?

AS well, you 'could' change default PTR's for segments used differently.

I find the idea of requiring PTRs to contain a magic string to be unappetizing at best and appalling at worst.

IMHO *NOBODY*, and I mean absolutely /nobody/ gets to tell me what I name my own system. That extends to things that tie into the host name, e.g. rDNS PTR records.

This would also be predicated on there being a single string that the entire industry would accept. I find this to be extremely unlikely.

At least you are asking how you can do things differently.

I mentioned to Michael -- in a direct email -- that I wonder if there is an opportunity to put something in parent DNS zones in the .arpa sub-domains, much like DS records for DNSSEC go in parent zones, so that an IP provider (or at least naming authority) can specify that a range is delegated to another entity.

I also mentioned that miscreants would be likely to abuse this and artificially divide their IP space so that bans on some parts would not effect other parts. Hence the need to have a larger addressing / naming authority provide this.

I think the distributed nature of rDNS could work well for this /if/ there was an agreed upon way to signal this /and/ we could get addressing / naming authorities to support it.

I know there has been a lot of Linode 'slagging' on the list, but it isn't as bad as some other networks.

I'm using Linode and still having reasonable luck. Though I do see evidence that the neighborhood is running down in some places.

Now, having said that that, you are looking  at the IPv6 space.  Are you planning to run email on IPv6? Many challenges ahead.

I am and have been running a dual stack email server for many years. I've only got a few recipient domains that I've artificially broken IPv6 on.

As a customer, ask Linode to provide 'rwhois' for you.

I have done exactly that multiple times. Each and every time they say that they don't support it.

But for email, you should stick to IPv4.  Just my two bits.

I apparenlty have different two bits.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die