Not here for a flame way on the topic...

Just trying to feed the conversation.. examples that can be used or talked about at M3AAWG or amongst the community..

However, a couple of small 'opinion' pieces..

* I refuse to believe that there is nothing to do on this issue, and that the boat has sailed.. And even more, I think that M3AAWG has a role to play here..

* I think we will see that those companies that are diligent in transparency will get better treatment from those in the infosec and security space, than those that don't.

* If you are an ESP, you should make it easy to reach you, you have a responsibility to show that you are professional, and it is NOT THAT HARD. If you are overwhelmed with complaints, you are doing something wrong.

Another example:

http://unifiedlayer.com/

Now, us in the industry might recognize the name, but a junior sysadmin or infosec person would not.. The URL looks like any of the manner 'placeholders' the spammers would put up.

BlueHost (the new brand) still hasn't updated the 'rwhois' information so we get..

Found a referral to rwhois.unifiedlayer.com:4321.

%rwhois V-1.5:000080:00 rwhois.unifiedlayer.com (by Unified Layer, V-1.0.0)
network:Class-Name:network
network:ID: NETBLK-UL.74.220.192.0/19
network:Auth-Area: 74.220.192.0/19
network:Network-Name: UL-74.220.192.0/19
network:IP-Network: 74.220.192.0/19
network:Organization: Unified Layer
network:Tech-Contact: net...@unifiedlayer.com
network:Admin-Contact: net...@unifiedlayer.com
network:Abuse-Contact: ab...@unifiedlayer.com
network:Created: 20121119
network:Updated: 20121119
network:Updated-By: net...@unifiedlayer.com

At least they have an abuse address, but so do many spammers

The 'whois' for unifiedlayer.com is redaccted.. Why would they NOT want to indicate that this belongs to BlueHost? If there is a REAL reason to report something..

.. for example 'child abuse', I KNOW BlueHost would want to know about it, and this was a topic the last two meetings at M3AAWG, how can we better share that kind of information..

Today, just caught it... a Junior might think it was a fake company, so rather than wasting cycles reporting that they have a bad compromise

In this case, a cPanel Phishing, from Romanian IP .. (Might want to look at RATS-AUTH ;)....

But of course, if a company doesn't WANT those reports, or make it easy for John Q Public to report it to them, (not even discussing those that ignore reportsf) .. then yeah, they will have to reap the fallout..

Wouldn't it be easier to simply redirect 'http://unifiedlayer.com' to http://bluehost.com?

Oh.. wait.. bluehost.com says you have to fill out a captcha before even seeing the site.. *grumble* That doesn't stop the bad guys, only causes the good guys to maybe give up..