Yeah, on iOS if it has instant notifications, and it's not the built-in Mail app
or a first party app of your service, it has to have phoned home the
credentials. There isn't really any way around it, the only long living
connection they allow is their own notification system. For some reason they
also decided to allow it for Exchange ActiveSync, because enterprise I guess?

They also have some custom stuff that will make instant notifications work in
their standard email client, which also uses their notification system in the
background. It needs a certificate, and by the book you can only get one as a
large service provider with good contacts at apple, or if you have an old
version of OSX server (not sure if that works anymore). Cyrus has it for
example, but also notes Apple has only licensed Yahoo and Fastmail to use it:
https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/concepts/features/event-notifications.html#imap-features-event-notifications-applepushservice

You can probably tell from my wording how I feel about this. I get the battery
efficiency part. Not the part where ActiveSync has an exception to it, and their
own battery efficient IDLE alternative is not accessible to most. Let alone the
fact that has caused basically all third party emails to just capture your
credentials. I don't blame the apps in this case, I blame Apple. In this case
it's just Microsoft reusing Outlook web, which was designed to only work with
their own backend and not with other IMAP implementations in mind. We can safely
blame the app in this case :)

Louis