+1

- Mark Alley

On 3/8/2024 10:01 AM, Bill Cole via mailop wrote:
On 2024-03-08 at 09:13:32 UTC-0500 (Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:13:32 +0100)
Stefano Bagnara via mailop <mai...@bago.org>
is rumored to have said:

Well,

I undestand you all hate OVH, but this really doesn't look like an
intended block.

Sure it does.

I tested that when I log to my @freenet.de email I am not able to
write emails to any domain whose DNS are hosted by OVH.

That really looks like an intended block...

I know plenty
of italian companies whose domain zone is at OVH: even if their email
is at Google Workspace or somewhere else they currently cannot receive
emails from @freenet.de and you are telling me this is something
freenet.de done by purpose beucase they didn't want OVH spam? I'll
believe that once a freenet.de people will confirm it.

Considering OVH is the biggest registar in europe they are not
delivering email to most european domains.

Registrars, DNS providers, and hosters are very different things, even if they happen to sometimes be the same entity. For example, half of the domains I own don't even use DNS from their registrar, who doesn't even sell hosting.

OVH being a major registrar doesn't mean much. OVH providing a lot of DNS for their registration customers means a bit more, but one can resolve DNS indirectly so it's not huge. Being a massive hoster makes the cost of blocking them significant, but not necessarily excessive for some providers. Freenet.de knows their users better than you do. They may have a thousand pinhole exemptions from that blocking making the effective price for their customers near zero.

So, if they blocked the whole OVH ASN at their SMTP server I could
even get that (even if I'm not aware of anyone else doing that),

I block OVH ranges by announced route when I see anything in the range sending me spam, unless there's a concrete reason not to. It's not worthwhile to block by ASN, especially as I am not doing the blocking in BGP.

but I
really don't believe they blocked bidirectional routing between 2 ASN
just because freenet thinks OVH is spammy. We hardly see a similar
block when there is a war between 2 countries.

All of your argumentation against this being an intentional block is based on the fact that it isn't something YOU would do, because YOU would find the cost unacceptable.

That's not a very useful class of reasoning, especially when it is inconsistent with evidence. The evidence suggests a broad block of OVH by Freenet. That should not happen easily by accident, although it certainly could. It is far more likely that it was entirely intentional, but lacked careful analysis of the negative effects. It is possible that it was entirely intentional and the risks pre-mitigated in ways that you cannot see.

Stefano