Most likely the reasoning behind something like this is dkim replay
attacks, where a message with a single recipient is re-sent to a large
number of recipients.

Of course mailing lists should be exempted, the challenge is if you reply
to both the list and the person directly, the reply to the person didn't go
through the list and can't be easily exempted.  Oh, and you have to be
careful how you make the exemption since you don't want the dkim reply
spammers to figure it out and exempt themselves, there isn't a registry of
legitimate mailing lists.

Obviously if this is affecting a large number of folks as false positives,
it could use some tuning... but I think the set of rules like this started
years ago at this point, but new rules and tuning and just the general
dynamics of the system will change the performance and effect.

As for preferencing Google Groups, at least when I was on the team, Google
Groups went in through the same smtp-in door as any other mail, and was
treated the same as any other mail... in general, the only differences
there was that it is a known mailing list host and as a large one had some
special handling to differentiate between different groups... and this same
type of thing was used for most of the large mailing list operators that
the team was aware of.  Open source mailing lists were also usually handled
specially where possible, definitely out of proportion to their actual mail
volume or affected users.

At the time, debian mailing lists were also specially handled due to their
poor email hygiene practices, in particular their opposition to using SPF
because they didn't want to run a central MSA for people to use their
debian.org email addresses.

The issue with any special handling is that it adds tech debt to the
system, makes it more complicated, and the handling can become out of date
over time... I don't know if debian has started using SPF (a quick look
says no), or if they don't, whether the system still has any special
handling for them, since removing that special handling or having it break
probably wouldn't move the needle on any metrics for the system as a
whole.  I wouldn't be surprised if we still have yahooogroups.com listed as
a large scale mailing list system... even though it's gone.... or if
groups.io is listed since it's probably grown large enough that it could be.

Brandon