On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 12:03:46PM +0100, Marco Moock via mailop wrote:
> Am 14.03.2024 schrieb Julian Bradfield via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>:
>
> > On 2024-03-14, Marco Moock via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
> > > sendmail tried to deliver it 20 times during the night - this
> > > morning I deleted the mail from mqueue.
> >
> > That's a fairly aggressive retry strategy.
>
> That is the default in sendmail.
>
> Is there any standard that defines the retry rates or at least a best
> practise?

It depends on the average queue size and contention of the queue.
With many entry a queue runner interval might be exhausted easily and
retry streches over multiple intervals.
I would regard a 10 to 15 minute queue runner interval as acceptable.
If the queue is nearly empty the retry happens 4 to 6 times a hour.
That's not very aggressive meanwhile.
Our inbound queuerunner operates in permanent queue running mode which
could lead to a retry every minute if the queue is nearly empty.
This is more or less "aggressive" ...

Johann