Regarding Joe Sullivan's comments below:
 
 
In a message dated 9/14/2008 1:12:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

A) I am  philosophically against having teams prequalify for the WAR or 
America  Trophy from one season to the next. In my opinion, this would be a 
step  
backward, and a major dilution of competition in the regional  qualifiers.


 
First, the word used was "qualify", not "prequalify. I'm not sure who  said 
it first (Scott Ikle I think), but it has been said and, I think rightly  so, 
that we need to start thinking in terms of one long season rather than two  
short ones. The Fall qualifers are really the beginning of the qualification  
process that leads to the nationals. From those we get into the War.  Nine at 
the 
War to go to the America. Everyone else gets one last chance,  in his own 
region spring qualifier to get to the America which, then,  leads to the 
Nationals. Again, there is no "prequalification." Everyone gets the  same three 
chances to get onto the road to the top.
 
The wisdom of the "one long season" view is that it recognizes the  
progression from fleet racing early and moving to the more complicated and  
demanding 
team racing as we approach the end of the season. However the big guys  did it, 
their evolution of the spring into the team racing part of the year for  the 
top MAISA teams makes perfect sense. I believe the simpler 2-on-2 will bring  
the smaller and less experience teams into team racing in a way in which they  
can enjoy some success. And, it is the perfect springboard for growing teams 
to  move into 3-on-3 and be successful there. 
 
As far back as I can research it, no team in the top nine at the War has  
failed to make it into the America. Thus, that accomplishment should be very  
legitimately acknowledged by qualification for the America.
 
Dan
 
 




**************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, 
plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.      
(http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)
_________________________________________________
maisa mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.collegesailing.org/mailman/?listname=maisa

Reply via email to