I am having some difficulty deconstructing a line in Georgics I.  It is 266
"nunc facilis rubea texatur fiscina virga".

In my dictionaries 'rubeus' is given as 'made from bramble', 'fiscina' a
'small wicker basket' and 'virga' as 'sticks, rods, wands' etc - giving the
line a sort of double tautology (is there such a thing?) which I am sure
would not have come from the pen of Virgil.  What I think it means is
something like 'now (is the time for) the skilful weaving of those small
bramble wand baskets' (prickly business, no doubt), but there still seem to
be too many woody words since, I believe, 'rubus' means bramble, not
'rubeus'.

'Facilis' is an interesting word inasmuch as it can seem to mean both 'easy'
and 'difficult'.  In the basket-weaving context I have thought of it as
'easy when you know how', when one has reached the appropriate skill level.

My curiosity about this line arises from the fact that in my ecological
field work I often make small stick bundles which look rather like fasces
and bind them together with bramble stems.  The latter are eminently
suitable as they are pliant and the prickles hook them in place round the
twigs, making a very secure, long-lasting tie and avoiding the need to carry
string.

I use these bundles as insect traps by simply lying them on the ground and
knocking the contents out when I go back, but it would be an equally good
way of making small firewood bundles.

It is interesting to learn that the Romans knew how to put brambles to good
use too and I wonder if there are related descriptions in Classical
literature.

Patrick Roper