> Pardon me for changing the subject being discussed, but would someone tell
> me something about Macaronic Verse?  Is it always a "burlesque"
> form as the
> dictionary implies, or is there a body of more serious work?
> Are there, for example, macaronic heroic couplets?  A few inquiring minds
> want to know. . .

The dictionary I cited before says, among much else, that in Middle English
examples "whole lines of Latin are frequently inserted as quasi-refrains,
and since the metre of both languages often matches, macaronic verse may
have been an important vehicle for transporting the accentual rhythms of
Medieval Latin into English."

The authors go on to say that Ezra Pound and T S Eliot "transformed the
macaronic into a serious and important technique of poetic composition,
allusion and structure."

The fashion for the macaronic may have declined too early for heroic couplet
writers.  However, if you hadn't provoked me to think about it I might never
have come across gems like William Drummond's Scots/Latin 'Polemo-Middinia'.
Here's a flavour of it:

Nymphae quae colitis highissima monta Fifaea,
Seu vos Pittenwema tenent seu Crelia crofta
Sive Anstraea domus, ubi nat haddocus in undis
Codlineusque ingens, et fleucca et skeeta pererrant
Per costam, et scopulis lobster mony-footus in udis
Creepat, et in mediis whitenius undis

Patrick Roper