We talked about this briefly several years ago, but something came up that
made me think of it again, and I need help. Brooks Otis and, more recently,
Wendell Clausen have emphasized Virgil's indebtedness to Hellenistic poetry
and, beyond that, to what we might call the Hellenistic sensibility, by
which I mean a liking for poetry that is (a) polished, (b) subjective, and
(c) short. This is a useful set of ideas, but it's one, so far as I can
tell, that the Renaissance just didn't have. Or rather, critics in the
Renaissance had them separately, as ideas about form, but they didn't group
those ideas chronologically; they weren't aware of the "Hellenistic
sensibility" as an episode in the history of taste. They did have a sense
that Ennius and Livius Andronicus come before Virgil, and that Ennius was
crude. There's also a very keen sense of the difference between Tacitus and
Cicero (not to mention classical and post-classical Latin). But not of
movements and styles within the late Republic.

Am I wrong about this?* And if I'm not, when do scholars begin to talk
about these things? Ideally, the answer would be in the form of an article
citation. Pieces of the answer could probably be assembled from histories
of classical scholarship (e.g., Sandys, Pfeiffer), but these are really
capsule biographies; what I'm looking for is the history of an idea.

* It's been a couple years since I looked at Julia Gaisser's _Catullus and
His Renaissance Readers_. Will order it up on ILL and check. What I do
recall is that Poliziano knows some of the sources for Catullus as texts.
What eludes him still is the category.