In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, fabio paolo barbieri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
Nobody has replied, so I guess it's up to me. And I have no answer, only guesses. It seems to me that the invention of the distinction between Classical and Hellenistic must be a feature of the late eighteenth-early nineteenth sensibility that followed Winckelmann's rediscovery - or is it an invention? - of the "noble simplicity" of classical Greek art. Another essential stage in the invention of the distinction must have been Schiller's famous essay on the distinction between "naiv" and "sentimentalisch" poetry, a distinction that is easily applied to any artform. Naiv means unselfconscious, direct, a form of expression that does not reflect on its own being because it is wholly concerned with the things it has to express; and sentimentalisch means one in which the mode of expression, and the heritage of past forms, are a major consideration, one that loses that clear directness because the artist has too clear in his/her mind the need to work on form as such and to react to the past. The very word "Hellenistic", implying as it does a turning back to "Hellenism", a relationship that is primarily with a past culture rather than with the living experience of the present, seems to me to depend entirely on Schiller's categories. I would, under correction, suggest that Hellenism as a category must have come in in the first or second (at most) quarter of the nineteenth century, and in Germany. At any rate, we all know what an overwhelming influence on all modern thinking on the Classics nineteenth-century Germany had.

The term Hellenismus/hellenistisch for the period between Alexander and the Roman Empire goes back to J. G. Droysen's Geschichte Alexanders des Großen of 1833. Before that, 'Hellenistic' had denoted the language of Greek-speaking Jews (the Hellenistai of the New Testament), or what passed for it before the papyri enabled us to distinguish between specifically biblical usages and the general development of the language; that sense, coupled with the fact of non-Greeks under Greek rule and the racial commonplaces of the nineteenth century, coloured the view of Hellenismus as Greek culture barbarized. When I was growing up, the term used in the books I read at school for ultra-refined/precious literature was not 'Hellenistic' but 'Alexandrian'.

Leofranc Holford-Strevens
--

Leofranc Holford-Strevens
67 St Bernard's Road                                         usque adeone
Oxford               scire MEVM nihil est, nisi ME scire hoc sciat alter?
OX2 6EJ

tel. +44 (0)1865 552808(home)/353865(work)          fax +44 (0)1865 512237
email:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (home)/[EMAIL PROTECTED] (work)