<< message forwarded by listowner, David Wilson-Okamura >>

From: "Timothy Mallon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:14:47 PST

Poets Anthony Hecht and Louise Gluck as well; and John Ashbery ("Syringa"
and "Sortes Vergilianae" (though I've yet to figure out how the latter poem
relates to its title, but that is Ashberian obliquity for you)). "Syringa"
was set to music by Elliott Carter, and I understand there is a recording of
it, but I have never come across it.

Then there is that collaborative volume in which some contemporary poets
tried their hands at Ovid's _Metamorphoses_ . I mention it as a creative
work because each modern produced a very individual (and in some cases,
arguably idiosyncratic) version of the ancient; so much so that many of the
poems seem to be retellings or reimaginings of Ovid's tales, rather than
translations.