--
Having reached the age of 78 and finding myself increasingly prone to a belated search for knowledge, I was bemused to discover that, although the subject in which I received my highest marks in proficiency was Latin, I had never heard the suggestion that Virgil's work had a significant influence on the works of medieval and renaissance writers.

Could you please inform me of some references that would confirm this postulate?

My thanks to anyone who can enlighten me. I was one of the few students in Latin who did not have the following hackneyed ditty inscribed somewhere in one of the latin grammar or literature texts we studied:

"Latin is a language
That's dead as daed can be,
It killed the ancient Romans,
And now it's killing me!"