This is in grateful response to Ms. Emma Guest, who has posted the following reply to the second of my requests for assistance. I must also acknowledge the courtesy of the other members of virgil.org in answering both the original and second requests of an obvious amateur.

 Emma

"I am writing in response to the latest questions from Mr. Manzer about V's
influence on pastoral landscapes and on rural art in the Roman era. I am
currently writing my diss. on the influence of the Eclogues and Georgics on
Italian Ren. Art. There is no one source for this information (hence my own
research!) but a useful and general resource is Freedman, L., The classical
pastoral in the visual arts, New York, 1989. Also see The Pastoral
Landscape, ed. J.D. Hunt, Studies in the history of art 36. Symposium papers
20, Hanover, N.H., 1992 and Cafritz, R., L. Gowing, and D. Rosand, Places of
delight: the pastoral landscape New York, 1988. V's influence on the visual arts is an immense topic; these books may answer a few of your questions. David's bibliography online is a great source for more information."

Emma Guest
PhD candidate in art history, Rutgers University
"Virgil's Bucolic Poetry in Italian Renaissance Art" in progress."

I would greatly appreciate her advising me of the possible Internet addresses or physical locations of the references she so kindly provided. I have spent several hours on the web trying to locate them, with no appreciable results.(There is a Lawence Freedman,( whose latest book concerns the Gulf War) who could possibly be the Freedman to whom she refers). The religious connotation of the word 'pastoral' seems to predominate the web results.

The library of our local University (Calgary, Alberta), obviously could not have the depth of resources of the long-established institutions in the eastern U.S.

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- To leave the Mantovano mailing list at any time, do NOT hit reply. Instead, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message "unsubscribe mantovano" in the body (omitting the quotation marks). You can also unsubscribe at http://virgil.org/mantovano/mantovano.htm#unsub