This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Thanks to Kit for the call  to reply at the bibliographical help which moved
Stefan to write to us. May be I had to count up one million before replying.

I wanted just to point out, in a vivid manner, that the question from the
technical point of view has nothing else to say and I wanted to suggest a new
line of research: manipulation of masses, and social psychology.
I would very like to know, for instance, whether the UN Organizations like
Unicef  asked to some learned person (Snyder, Robinson, et al.) what he thought
about the "new" projection before adopting it! And what moved them to choose
that projection.
Anyway, from the list of interests of Stefan I see he is moving in the
socio-political direction. FIne!

As fa as to Italy there has been no particular attention from the Academic
point of view, neither from the political one. I remember just a paper written
in the early 90s in order to defend Mercator's projection against the attack by
Peters and the attention paid by persons involved in ONG. I may ask to the
Società Geografica Italiana whether it took part to the international debate.

vladimiro

Il giorno 23/ott/2010, alle ore 08.57, kitthe...@aol.com ha scritto:
> This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
> whole list)
> o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +
> Dear Vladimiro
>
> While agreeing with everything you have written I do think we may have missed
> the point a little. My reply was to point out to / remind Stefan that there
> was at least one other name connected to this particular projection. I have
> no axe to grind with the projection per se.
> Secondly, there are a lot of people out here who are not learned (your bold
> type). I do classify myself as a lover of maps and an amateur collector and
> perhaps know a little more about these wonderful works of art than many, but
> I do not classify myself as learned as I still have much to learn.
> Thirdly, and most importantly, we have not given poor Stefan many sources
> which he can refer to which was his original appeal. (Sorry if I have missed
> any besides Joost's references to his father's work.)
>
> Maybe some of the learned community out there can give him some decent
> references.
>
> I do not think anyone wants to start up a pro-contra discussion here as I
> believe most readers are on your side.
>
> Best wishes to all MapHisters
>
> Kit
>
> This email has been sent to you by:
> Kit Batten
> Auerhahnweg 7
> 70499 Stuttgart
> Germany
>
> kitthe...@aol.com
> 0049-711-865524
>
> If you are not the intended recipient of this email, I apologise for my error
> and for any inconvenience caused. Could you please delete it and any
> attachment from your computer. A short message to the above email address
> with a subject line only with text - Incorrect Email Address - would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Maphist mailing list
> Maphist@geo.uu.nl

Maphist mailing list