This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Many thanks to all those who have offered  more information and comments
concerning Lord Burghley's Maps.

      I was aware of the one or ones he had  prepared for Lancashire in
part to keep track of families suspected of being  outwardly conforming Church
Papists and in some cases actual recusants or  pro-active crypto-Roman
Catholics -- with Lancashire known for being a region  where many clung to "Ye
Olde Faith" longer, even after the defeat of the Spanish  Armada in 1588.

     However, that was also true for Warwickshire,  especially the gentry
in the portion to the south and also parts of  Worcestershire and
Gloucestershire that bordered onto Warwickshire.

     So my main interest is trying to determine if Lord  Burghley also had
similar maps made for these shire, especially  Warwickshire.  Perhaps
someone knows the answer off the top of their  head.

Peter Dickson
Arlington, Virginia
Phone:  703-243-6641
Email:  _pwdbard@aol.com_ (mailto:pwdb...@aol.com)