This is a MapHist list message.
News: If you don't get messages anymore, go to http://www.maphist.nl for news
about the new MapHist Forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Marcel,

Two comments:

First, judging the market by looking at the performance of Ortelius maps over
the past 30 years would be highly misleading.  The early but still common
European maps have been among the worst performing maps over the past 20 years,
if purchased at retail from dealers.

If you were to look at other genre, such serio-comic maps, or many regional
18th, 19th and early 20th Century maps, you will see that the market has in
some cases risen by a factor of 5-10 times or more and continue to increase at
astonishing rates, in comparison to the broader market.  By contrast, the
market values of 19th Century American Atlases has fallen in the past decade.
I recommend you look at Bill Reese's analyses of the items offered in the
Streeter sale and thereafter, which he tracks for roughly 40 years, as one
example of map and book price inflation for a different genre (Streeter Sale
Revisited--Catalog 257, and one thereafter, I believe).

Second, I think you misunderstood my response.  At no point did I say that
dealers were obligated to respond to the investment question. I said that the
client was entitled to an honest response.  Stating that "Maps should ONLY be
collected for the joy of collecting" is in my mind "judgmental" and not an
honest response, for the reasons I set forth in my posting.  A dealer should be
free too say nothing in this situation, but expecting a dealer to give a
misleading answer to avoid the investment topic is wrong.   Moreover, I also
elaborated that the issue of past, present and future value invariably arises
when we are asked to represent sellers who do not know what they have, so it
seems an artifice to proscribe commenting on future values to buyers when we
give the same sort of advice to sellers.

If a client asked me the question "is an Ortelius atlas a good investment at
$200,000," my response could take several forms.  In most instances, I would
recommend to the client that they do a thorough study of the current market and
market conditions over the prior 10-20 years if they wanted to evaluate the
book as an investment, but I would not do it for them, as I would not want to
give "investment" advice.  If it were a client for whom I felt comfortable
giving the advice, I would insist upon seeing the item in hand or having a
thorough written description and my comments would likely include caveats about
past performance not being a guarantee about the future. Most importantly, when
giving an opinion on the future prospects for a map or atlas, I always state
"if its something you will enjoy owning, there is a good chance that this will
be the biggest return on your investment, relative to any increase or decrease
in value over time."  Put differently, I am a believer that only collectors
should consider the investment value of cartographic artifacts, because
non-collectors will invariably do better investing in something they understand
and "appreciate."

You say that $200,000 was too much to pay for a 1612 Ortelius Atlas? How can
you judge the the correctness of a price without a full description?

A complete and perfect old color example of the 1612 atlas, with Parergon and a
nice original deluxe binding and good provenance could be seen as under-priced
at $200,000 in today's market.  An uncolored copy in poor condition would be
vastly overpriced at $200,000.  I note that you have a number of early Ortelius
atlases on your website with prices that could be seen as correlating to the
$200,000 range for a 1612 atlas in fine old color etc.

While I picked $200,000 randomly, I did so with knowledge that there have been
examples of the post 1600 Ortelius Atlas that have traded for more than
$200,000 in the recent years, most notably the Christies copy which fetched
$420,000 in 2000 and would almost certainly bring a similar or higher price in
today's market.  There are at least a half dozen copies on the market for over
$200,000 at the moment.  So the $200,000 question was a real world hypothetical.

To clarify, my comment was that spending $200,000 on a 1612 Ortelius atlas was
"an investment"--I did not say good or bad.  The premise was that spending
$200,000 on anything is "an investment" for most people.  Its a lot of money
and therefore, if an an answer is to be given as to the merits of the
"investment", I believe it would not be fair to give the client a misleading
answer to the investment question.

Barry Ruderman
Barry Lawrence Ruderman Antique Maps Inc.
7463 Girard Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037 (USA)
b...@raremaps.com
www.RareMaps.com
(858) 551-8500

 Member: Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
 International League of Antiquarian Booksellers

Gallery Hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm
Weekends & Evenings By Appointment