This is a MapHist list message.
News: If you don't get messages anymore, go to http://www.maphist.nl for news
about the new MapHist Forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

I recently was asked a question about a compass or wind rose that had some odd
numbers marking the 32 points. Instead of degrees or points it's marked 17 1/2
over the fleur de lis at north and then in both directions, every 11.25 degrees
the markings go
18
19
21
25
31 1/2
46
88
0 at due west and due east.
The actual angles are 11.25 degrees per division, but if you plot these numbers
against the actual angles you get a very smooth curve that looks exponential or
maybe logarithmic. This graphic was seen in the Ch. Columbus museum on Porto
Santo, a small island of Madeira, Portugal.

The question is, what do these numbers mean? I've got a couple of images, but
they're too big to show you here. I thought I'd just ask if anyone knows
anything about this sort of numbering before I go to further lengths. For all I
know this could be an easy one. I just can't figure out if this is some sort
trigonometry calculator or what it was supposed to do for the mariner of
Columbus' time. (I don't have a date for it either; I'm assuming it's 15th
century.)

So is this a common numbering scheme or do you need to see the pictures?

Regards,

Bill Thoen
GISnet
http://gisnet.com