To answer the first problem, try to reboot your computer and only load
up MapInfo before sending a print job to your HP DesignJet plotter.
This will ensure that you will have lots of free space in your virtual
memory.  Every time you open a software package, your computer will
use some residual memory to memorise where the exe file was located
(for example) to aid speedier access next time you load the same
software package again.

The answer to the second problem is that you need to use the
postscript driver for the HP DesignJet plotter to create postscript
files.  If you are not currently using this printer driver, then you
will have to download the relevant one from HP's web site.

Hope this works! and good luck.

Sheila Quan
Senior GIS Consultant
Steer Davies Gleave