Census Bureau's where you want to go. They have fairly high res
state and county bounds in MIF on their FTP server. See
ftp://ftp.census.gov/pub/tiger/boundary/ (Also go up a path or
two for more interesting stuff).

For street files, you are talking about a data set that's several
CD's wide. You can get TIGER data free at your nearest Federal
Depository library (call ahead first to see what their check out
and/or disk copy policies are). Or you can buy it really cheap
from www.manifold.com (I think they sell the Census CDs for $97
(as opposed to $1500 from the Bureau). Raw TIGER needs to be
translated to MapInfo before you can use it ("free" means the
cost is on the other end).

Also check out the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. See
http://www.bts.gov for info on all sorts of transportation data
free for the asking.

- Bill Thoen