Walter and Jacques,

I disagree with the 6-parameter suggestion.  I do not believe anything more than
a 3-parameter is reasonable to transform between a local archeological "Dig"
coordinate system and a geodetic system.

When I say 3 parameters, I mean a change in X coordinates, a change in Y
coordinates and a rotation.  For that sort of operation, Walter is correct in
that such a transformation can be done with a minimum of two points.  I would
like to suggest that more points be used as a check, but a unique solution is
satisfied with 2 points.  The 6-parameter solution offers 3 additional
parameters that should not be tolerated in such a survey.  A different scale in
each coordinate axis along with a factor for a non-orthogonal axis angle is
totally out of place.

Textbook for this sort of thing?  Good Grief!

   X =   X' cosine (theta) + Y'   sine (theta) + dX'

   Y = - X'   sine (theta) + Y' cosine (theta) + dY'

Presumably, the primed components are the "Dig" coordinates.  This is not rocket
science, it is High School Analytical Geometry.

This will be adequate for a "DIg" no larger than 1,000 acres or a linear feature
less than 5 miles long.  Bigger than that, and you should be working in a truly
Geodetic coordinate system that is a conformal (orthomorphic) Grid system with
corrections for azimuth, scale factor, and correction to mean sea level.
However, something that big is probably going to have a surveyor associated with
the project and therefore they will take care of the details.

This can be extended into a local geodetic grid in itself if the geodetic
coordinates of the origin point is known along with a true meridian reference
(azimuth from true north).  With that accomodated, then the local "Dig"
coordinate system can be either an ellipsoidal polyhedric (similar to a
gnomonic), or can be an ellipsoidal azimuthal equidistant.  Both techniques have
been effectively used for islands and small countries in the 19th and 20th
centuries.

Examples of the French used of the ellipsoidal Hatt Azimuthal Equidistant
projection for such "localized" surveys can be found in my "Grids and Datums"
column on the Republic of Gabon, published in the September, 1998 issue of
"Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing" and is downloadable from the
society's website at:

http://www.asprs.org/resources.html

Note that the file is in Adobe Acrobat ".pdf" format.

In conclusion, use a 3-parameter transformation, and only a 3-parameter.

Cliff

--
Clifford J. Mugnier ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Topographic Engineering Laboratory