Weaknesses, yes.  Right direction?  Absolutely!  Although we have
encountered some shortcomings, for the most part MI has been fairly
expediant in helping us resolve.  Try getting ESRI to do the same.
The last app I built was using ESRI's industrial strength IMS.
What a kluge that was.

As for Linux, I have a test environment set up on a Debian system,
and aside from the VM problems you've already pointed out, it seems
fairly stable.  However, both my development and operational
environment is currently Solaris. Hard to imagine a more stable Java
platform.

Those developing web apps with anything but MapXtreme Java (aka MapX
or MapXtreme NT) I would highly encourage them to move to a platform
that is more reliable and open.  I only wish MI would make the cost
of MapXtreme Java more accessible.

-jv

> Dear Jack,
>
> Nice to see that we are not the only ones finding weaknesses in MapXTreme
> Java 2.
> As you may already know, this is not the only problem with MapXtreme Java !
> As I am noticing your little word from our beloved LINUS, are you running
> MapXTreme on Linux ?
> We are now experimenting few problems with the evaluation version of
> MapXTreme, running on Linux RedHat 6.1 with servlets on APACHE. Quite
> annoying that text objects are not supported at all in version 2. Do you
> know if MapInfo is planning to add text objects in future releases ? I have
> to investigate, this is a pain in the butt. We are finding major performance
> problems (mostly due to Java Virtual Machine) on Linux. The application is
> very slow (and sucks up memory like crazy). IMB and Sun are working on new
> versions of VM that will definitely improve speed / performance (but this
> will happen only in early 2000). I have to download version 1.1.8 and give
> it a whirl. In the meantime if you got MapXTreme to run smoothly with large
> datasets on Linux please let us know !
>
> Salutations,
>
> Dany Bouchard
> DBx Geomatics
> 38 de l'Orbite
> Hull, Québec
> Canada
> J9A 3C7
> Téléphone/Telephone: 819.743.3870
> Télécopieur/Fax: 819.775.3264
> Courrier électronique/Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Page Web/Web site: http://www.dbxgeomatics.com/home.asp

Jack Varga