I am just starting to evaluate Manifold 4.5 and would not pretend to be able
to review it.  Of course I have some opinions:

* The number of apparent functions is impressive, including ability to
access numerous data formats/sources.

* The extensability through VBscript, Javascript is impressive, although
tempered by the fact that one does of course have to learn numerous
Manifold-specific classes.  There is still plenty of learning curve.

* IMO, the interface is a bit too busy, a bit non-standard, and lacks
"polish".  Example: To open an existing map, one chooses File>New   Want to
open more than one at a time? Sorry; at least I don't see how yet.

* Manifold eats RAM like nobody's business, surrendering it only at
application termination

* Standard operations are S L O W.  Opening each individual map takes TIME,
then rendering (and re-rendering) it takes MORE TIME.  Complex operations on
the other hand, like calculating Voronoi diagrams, scoot along nicely.

I replied to this because I want to see if Manifold can be used in a
(time/cost effective) complementary relationship with MapInfo products.  Too
early to say, especially with new product announcements coming from MapInfo
Corp soon.  But the potential is certainly clear.  And I guarantee Manifold
will spur development of new tools for MI Pro/MapX, if not at MapInfo Corp,
then elsewhere ;-)

Sam Kome
Sage Software, Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]