So why after only a year, did he resign? I hear more and more
about the tension within the governemnt and with GIS people in
the UK over the issues of "crown copyright" and "full cost
recovery" for GIS data, and I wonder if this parting is more
evidence of the battle. Nobody makes a "tremendous contribution"
in just a year and then leaves abruptly without a reason. They
don't say what that was either. Maybe he just got a fantastic
offer from someplace else?

I wonder. With New Zealand recently lowering their topo data
prices dramatically (see
http://www.linz.govt.nz/publications/media/index.html) and
Canada's data infrastructure collapsing under the "full cost
recovery" policies (see
http://www.geoplace.com/gw/1999/0699/699can.asp), perhaps this
pot is boiling once again.

- Bill Thoen