I have to say that I for one will shed few tears over the departure of the
DG.

>From the view of an outsider who deals extensively with OS technical staff
on matters relating to the National Land and Property Gazetteer he
successeded in moving the debate over OS forward. Trading status rather
than privatisation was his great success and the changes to the pricing of
the business mapping series is long overdue elsewhere there have been mixed
messages.

The pulling back of OS involvement in NLPG resulted in some uncertainty for
the local government side as to how the project would move forward costing
about a 3 months delay. And relations at a high level between OS and IDeA
(local gov) have become increasingly strained. Internal communication has
become less clearer with different members of OS staff giving conflicting
views on similar policy questions.

A typical example of this is the press release (OS Web Site) that supported
the AGI speech, where the National Buildings Dataset is described in terms
that in actual fact are a complete specification of the National Land and
Property Gazetteer and inferred OS were doing all the work.

We will never no the real reasons for him leaving but these tensions are
likely to have some influence

Peter Roberts
Powys CC writing in a personal capacity