Bob,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've only just found time to test it and
yes, it appears to work. I am having a problem with a System Error
occurring subsequently to this operation. It only seems to occur
following the 'pick point' feature but I'm not sure if it is a direct
result of it. Any ideas as to how I might pinpoint the cause of this?
There is an error code given, 34623, but I can't find any information
relating to it.

As for MapX, it's not an option for this particular project but I'll
keep it in mind for future reference.

Regards,

                  Keith

> Date:          Tue, 9 Nov 1999 10:45:26 +0000
> To:            Keith Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc:            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From:          "Bob Young - www.bydesignwales.demon.co.uk"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:       Re: MI Capturing Coordinates

> Dear Keith
>
> What you ask in your Email is possible - although I agree MapBasic is a
> bit restricted.
>
> I have a few apps that work like you mention - I must admit I got the
> idea from AutoCAD and AEC. With these products if you select a button
> that contains a < on it, the dialog temporarily disappears and the user
> selects a point on the map. In your handler for the button with the < on
> it set up a temp custom tool button. The handler of this gets the X and
> Y using CommandInfo(CMD_INFO_X) and same for Y. This handler can then
> store these values and put the dialog back up on the screen ( and delete
> itself! ) . ( In your case it sounds like you don't want the dialog back
> up so its simpler.
>
> Although it can be done, the biggest limitation is interaction when the
> users gives more than one point with a DM_CUSTOM_ polyline or region.
> Map X is a much better environment for these sorts of problems.
>

> Regards
>

> Bob
> www.bydesignwales.demon.co.uk
>

> In message <1951E5B13C0D@TELFORD>, Keith Campbell
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
> >Dear All,
> >
> >Is it possible to capture the map coordinates of a user selected
> >(by mouse-click) point?
> >I realise that the CommandInfo() function will return this
> >information from within a custom ToolButton handler but it seems odd
> >that this functionality is so restricted. I wish to capture this
> >information after the user has dismissed a dialog box by picking
> >'OK' and then clicks a point on-screen. Surely this must be possible?
> >Any help will be much appreciated.
> >
> >Keith
> >
> >Keith Campbell
> >GIS Consultant