Hello Sharon,

> I have a database of points (1000's of them!) with a column defining
> geographic location using Ordnance Survey Grid References.
>
> I would like to use MI's create points function on this dataset but it
> seems to me that x,y coordinates are required using degrees (lat/long).

MapInfo can handle national grid easting/Northing coordinates without
converting to latitude/longitude. When you use the "Create Points" function,
simply choose "Projection", then "British Coordinate Systems" and "British
National Grid". This coordinate system is already set-up to work in metres.

Your problem may be getting your data into 2 neat metre based Easting and
Northing columns.

> Column A
> 5205 7171
> 5214 7170
> 5204 7161
> etc...

Is there just this one column of coordinate data? Is there another with a
two letter code (like "TQ" for the London area)? If this field is all there
is then I would assume they are expressed to 100m resolution and need to be
multiplied up to convert to metres.

If you can described your coordinate data fully, I'd be happy to guide you
through the coordinate preparation and create points process.

Regards,
Warren Vick
Europa Technologies Ltd, U.K.
http://www.europa-tech.com