Anderw, I agree they are the same, but the developers appear to live in
different worlds!

The imaging programs (eg photoshop) focus on how the grid of values renders
on the screen, not what the values mean. Formats are optimised to represent
colours or grey scales.

With grids (eg a terrain grid) we are usually more interested in the
underlying grid values. So we put up with the inefficencies of working with
real numbers and characters as the "grid" values.

I think it is all about mind set. Yes, Image enhancement and grid
manipulation programs both work on rectangular arrays of values, but they
present different tools to reflect the end user focus and they optimise
their storage formats to different ends.

But with Landsat Imagery we like to use imaging tools (like contrast
stretch and edge enhncement) to change the way the image renders, and
sometimes we work with the raw grid values (eg in grid classificaiton). So
we get caught in deep space between the two worlds.

Vertical Mapper comes from a grid manipulation background. But their
coloriser maps ranges of real values to colours so we can present the grid
on the screen as an image.

Now do we call them grids, images or rasters? We can argue that one for
hours..

But some translators would be nice.....

... Ken Moule, Exa-Min

At 06:51 07/12/99 +1000, you wrote:
>I agree with Charles.  The only difference between an image and a grid in my
>view is that an image is usually constructed of a finer mesh of points
>(pixels), and then maybe not in the case of some LANDSAT imagery where the
>ground resolution is about 30m, and there are multiple instead of single z
>values for each point in the image (as opposed to a single z value in a
>grid).  Effectively, grids are the representations of a single "channel" or
>"band" of data forming an image.
>

>Andrew Waltho
>Brisbane, Australia
>
>e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Exa-Min Resource Industry Consultants
                  2nd Floor, 143 Charlotte Street, BRISBANE
                    PO Box 12020, Elizabeth Street Q 4002
                                  AUSTRALIA

Ph:    +61 7 32100741                Fax: +61 7 32100738
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]        WWW: http://www.geobasemap.com