So that you know, this doesn't work well in practice.   I often have workspaces
with 100 or more tables in a workspace, and I am sure I am not alone.  It is not
uncommon for someone to come back 2-3 years later and want to use that map as a
base.  You have to allocate hours to resurrecting or remaking the map. Computers
die. Networks get rearranged. It's a drag. This happens all the time.

I think a good solution would be a "delete table from workspace" option.  If a
table is missing, you have to dink with the workspace forever, changing layer
references to try to get it to open.  It would be nice to have something that
does it automatically.

What is even more annoying is that if a column is referenced for labeling, then
gets changed, the workspace won't open. And it won't even tell you the table
name!  Then you have to look at the map statement and count over, figure out
what table it's complaining about, make a dummy column that takes up drive
space, and try again.  And 90% of the time you weren't even labeling that field!