Dear All,

NOTE: Read this *mail* ONLY if you are interested in protecting your
PC from someone spying. A serial allegation has been made against the
Aureate Medial Library Files in doing so and some common programs that
we use has been found using these library files. This mail is 616
lines long, so it's upto you. Mac and Unix users are Safe.
--------------

As one of the serious NET watcher says "Demographic information and
computer/internet usage is worth a lot of cash. I certainly don't
expect Aureate or Microsoft or anyone else to be honest about what
they are doing."

Aureate Media is a company which provides components (DLL/OCX) for
Advertising on Software. These DLL's (Dynamic Link Libraries) has now
been proved to *spying* your computers and passing some of the vital
information to the servers in Aureate. They have addressed this
allegation on their home page under "Privacy Hoax, Aureate addressees
false privacy rumors" (http://www.aureate.com). Though the Vice
President of the company denied the allegation (Note 2), the answers
from him are not satisfactory to this regard (Note 3).

Thanks to one of the *talented* programmers on the net who has taken
time to release a program that identifies and removes these *spy* files
from your system. Since the program can be freely distributed, I do not
take any responsibly of using this spy remover program. I personally
used it on my system to find 5 of the listed files and it completely
removed them from my system along with the registry entries. Later, few
of the original files have been replaced with versions that originally
don't belong to the OS for which you will need the *original* copy of
your operating system (Win 95 / 98 / NT / 2000). I can distribute this
spy remover *only* to this list users and please mail me back if you
would like to have it.

Please read the Note 1 (line number 53) for the allegation report which
clearly mentions about the dangers posed by these files installed on
your system. This note also lists some of the software's known to be
using these files as part of the installation system. The Vice
Presidents denial to this report has been put on the Note 2 (line
435). I did follow the discussions later on this particular issue and
copied the last part of the discussion as Note 3 (line 555).

Please do not forget to read the Note 3. The source of these reports
cannot be disclosed due to various reasons.

Best Regards,

Ganesh.
Asian Center for Research on Remote Sensing
http://www.acrors.ait.ac.th

Note 1: The Allegation Report:
------------------------------

The following is a listing of all software known to install the Aureate
spy on your system. The Aureate spy keeps track of your Internet
activities and sends a report to Aureate every time you open your
browser. The Aureate spy places the following files on a Windows
machine. [It is not known, yet, to affect Macintosh or Linux machines.]
 The installed files are some or all of:
 adimage.dll
 advert.dll
 advpack.dll
 amcis.dll
 amcis2.dll
 amcompat.tlb
 amstream.dll
 anadsc.ocx
 anadscb.ocx
 htmdeng.exe
 ipcclient.dll
 msipcsv.exe
 tfde.dll

 Here is a review of the contents and
 code contained in the DLL's that Aureate makes use of. Here are a
 few of my findings up to this point:

 advert.dll
 ==========

 This DLL creates a hidden window every time you open your browser. It
 creates and sends 4 pages of information to the Aureate servers using
 port 1749 on your system, these pages include:

 1. Your name as listed in the system registry ( not the name you
 installed one of the programs with )
 2. Your IP address
 3. The reverse DNS match of your address. ( tells them what ISP and
 area of country you are in )
 4. A listing of ALL software that is shown in your registry as being
 installed. ( Not just the companies they work with )
 5. This DLL sends the following information to their server on all
 URL's you visit:
 A.) ad banners you may click on
 B.) all downloads you do showing the filename/file
 size/date/time/type of file(image, zip,executable, etc)
 C.) full time and date stamps of all your actions while
 using your
 browser
 D.) the remote dialup number you are dialing in on (taken out of
 your dialer configuration)
 E.) dialup password if saved, does not "appear" at first glance
 to send this through to them.
 6. Contains programmers note: "Show me the money! I want to
 be Mike!"

 advpack.dll
 ===========

 Used during the installation only to check for other needed files.
 amcis.dll
 =========

 This DLL modifies the following registry keys:
 1. HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
 2. HKEY_DYN_DATA
 3. HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA
 4. HKEY_USERS
 5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
 6. HKEY_CURRENT_USER
 7. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

 Unregisterss oleaut32.dll from memory as provided by M$oft and
 replaces with its own calls. Switches back to M$oft's when browser is
 closed. Creates stub processes to be started anytime your browser is
 opened.

 amcompat.tlb
 ============

 This guy tracks any multimedia clips ( video/pictures/sound ) that
 you view It tracks the rating level on the video/picture/sound and
 title / location Contains references to DblClick ( still digging on
 this one! )

 amstream.dll
 ==========

 Setups TWO way communications between your system and theirs.
 Used to send info and receive update commands/files
 Open port 1749 for communications

 The programs that are known to install the Aureate spy are:

 3d Anarchy
 3D-FTP
 3rd block
 Abe's FTP Client
 Abe's Image Viewer
 Abe's MP3 Finder
 Abe's Picture Finder
 Abe's SMB Client
 Access Diver III
 Acorn Email
 AcqURL
 ActionOutline Light 1.6
 Active 'Net
 Add URL
 Add/Remove Plus!
 Address Rover 98
 Admiral VirusScanner
 Advanced Call Center
 Advanced Maillist Verify
 AdWizard
 Alive and Kicking
 alphaScape QuickPaste
 ASP1-A3
 Auction Explorer
 Aureate Group Mail
 Aureate SpamKiller
 AutoFTP PRO
 AutoWeb
 AxelCD
 Beatle
 Binary Boy
 BinaryVortex
 Blue Engine
 BookSmith : Original
 buddyPhone 2
 Calypso E-mail
 CamGrab
 Capture Express 2000
 Cascoly Screensaver
 CDDB-Reader
 CDMaster32
 ChanStat
 Charity Banner
 Cheat Machine
 Check4New
 ChinMail
 Clabra clipboard viewer
 Classic Peg Solitaire
 ComTry Music Downloader
 Crystal FTP
 CSE HTML Validator Lite
 CuteFTP 3.0
 CuteFTP 3.0
 CuteFTP/Tripod
 CuteMX
 CutePage
 Danzig Pref Engine
 DateTime
 Delphi Component Test
 Delphi Tester
 Dialer 2000
 DigiBand NewsWatch
 DigiCams - The WebCam Viewer
 Digital Postman
 DirectUpdate
 DL-Mail Pro 2000
 DNScape
 Doorbell 1.18
 Download Minder 1.5
 Download Wonder
 DownLoader v.1.1
 Dwyco Video Conferencing
 EasySeeker
 EmmaSoft ChatCat
 EmmaSoft dBrow
 EmmaSoft KeepLan
 EmmaSoft Soundz
 EnvoyMail
 EZ-Forms FREE
 File Mag-Net
 FileSplit
 Folder Guard Jr.
 FourTimes
 Free Picture Harvester
 Free Solitaire
 Free Spades
 Free Submitter Pro
 FreeImageEditor
 FreeIRC
 FreeNotePad
 FreeSite
 FreeWebBrowser
 FreeWebMail
 FreeZip!
 FTPEditor
 GetRight
 Go!Zilla
 Go!Zilla WebAttack
 GovernMail
 Grafula
 Gunther's PasswordSentry
 HangWeb
 hesci Private Label
 HTML Translator
 HTTP Proxy-Spy
 Huey v1.8 Color Picker
 Iban Technologies IP Tools 3.1
 Idyle GimmIP
 Idyle GimmIP
 iFind Graphics
 imageN
 Infinite Patience
 InfoBlast
 InnovaClub
 InstallZIP
 Internet Tree
 Internetrix
 InterWebWord Companion
 JetCar
 JFK Research
 jIRC
 JOC Email Checker
 JOC Web Finder
 JOC Web Spider
 KVT Diplom
 LapLink FTP
 LineSoft Download
 LOL Chat
 LOL Chat
 Mail Them
 Meracl FontMap
 Meracl ImageMap Generator
 Midnight Oil Solitaire
 MirNik Internet Finder
 More Space 99
 MouseAssist
 MP3 Album Finder
 MP3 Fiend
 MP3 Grouppie
 MP3 Mag-Net
 MP3 Renamer
 Mp3 Stream Recorder
 MP3INFO-Editor
 MultiSender
 Music Genie
 MX Inspector BIG AD
 My Genie Patriots
 My Genie SE
 My GetRight
 NeatFTP
 Net CB
 Net Scan 2000
 Net Vampire
 Net-A-Car Feature Car Screensaver
 NetAnts
 NetBoard
 Netbus Pro 2.10
 NetCaptor 5.0
 Netman Downloader
 NetNak
 NetSuck 3.10.5
 NetTime Thingy
 Network Assistant
 NeuroStock
 NewsBin
 NewsShark
 NewsWire
 NfoNak
 NotePads+
 Notificator 1.0b
 Octopus
 Pattern Book
 People Seek 98
 Personal Search Agent
 Photocopier
 PicPluck
 Pictures In News
 Ping Thingy
 PingMaster
 Planet.Billboard
 Planet.MP3Find
 PMS
 ProtectX 3
 ProxyChecker
 QuadSucker/Web
 Quadzle Puzzles
 QuikLink Autobot
 QuikLink Explorer
 QuikLink Explorer Gold Edition
 QuoteWatch
 QWallet
 Real Estate Web Site Creator
 Recipe Review
 ReGet 1.6
 Resume Detective
 RingSurf
 RoboCam 1.10
 Rosemary's Weird Web World
 SaberQuest Page Burner
 SBJV
 SBWcc
 Scout's Game
 ScreenFIRE
 ScreenFIRE - FileKing
 ScreenFlavors
 Sea Battle
 Shizzam
 Simple Submit
 SimpleFind
 SimpleSubmit v1.0
 SK-111
 Smart 'n Sticky
 SmartBoard 200 FREE Edition
 SmartSum calculator
 SonicMail
 Sound Agent
 Space Central Screen Saver
 Splash! Siterave
 StartDrive
 Static FTP
 StockBrowser
 Subscriber
 SunEdit 2K
 SuperIDE
 Sweep
 SweepsWinner
 Text Transmogrifier
 The Mapper
 TheNet
 TI-FindMail
 TIFNY
 Total Finger
 Total Whois
 Tracking The Eye
 Trade Site Creator
 TWinExplorer Standard
 TypeWriter 1.0
 UK Phone Codes
 Vagabond's Realm
 VeriMP3
 Vertigo QSearch
 Virtual Access
 Visual Cyberadio
 Visual Surfer
 VOG Backgammon Main
 VOG Backgammon Table
 VOG Chess Main
 VOG Chess Table
 VOG Reversi Main
 VOG Reversi Table
 VOG Shell
 VOG Shell
 VOG Shell History
 W3Filer
 Web Coupon
 Web Page Authoring Software
 Web Registrant PRO
 Web Resume
 Web SurfACE
 WEB2SMS
 WebCamVCR
 WebCopier
 Web-N-Force
 WebSaver
 Website Manager
 WebStripper
 WebType
 WhoIs Thingy
 Win A Lotto
 WinEdit 2000
 Word+
 Wordwright
 WorldChat Client
 Worm
 www.devgames.com
 xBlock
 Your ESP Test
 Zion
 Zip Express 2000

Note 2: The Denial Note from the Aureate Media Vice President:
A variety of false rumors have been started, and we would appreciate
your help in finding the source of these rumors so that we can clarify
what our technology actually does and put these to rest.
As you may already know, what Aureate Media does is work with software
companies to make their products advertising supported. Aureate's
technology allows for these advertisements to be delivered and displayed
within the software products of these software products.

The following concerns are those that have been brought to our
attention. If you have additional
concerns, please do contact us directly.

Advert.dll creates a hidden window every time you open your browser

This is true, but this happens because of the way that Microsoft Windows
networking works. You will find that in running almost any windows
program that hidden windows are created as this is how the OS was
designed.

Advert.dll creates and sends 4 pages of information to Aureate on port
1749

We aren't sure exactly what is being referred to here. The first time
someone installs software they are presented with an optional
demographic survey (none of the information is required), and this
information is sent to us one time (after the survey is completed).
Prior to answering these questions, the user is presented with
information explaining why we ask  these questions and how the answers
are used. The information sent is only the information provided.
The use of port 1749 is misleading, as again this is something built
into the way that Microsoft
Windows networking works. Windows will pick a high numbered port (1500+)
in a largely random fashion. Again, this is how the OS works.

Advert.dll will send your name to Aureate as it is listed in the system
registry

   Completely false.

Advert.dll will send your IP address to Aureate Your IP address is sent,
again because of the way that Microsoft Windows networking and TCP/IP
protocol works. An IP address is
obviously required in order to communicate with an internet server in
any instance.

 Advert.dll performs a reverse DNS lookup on your IP address

 Here again, it is Microsoft Windows networking that does this as part
of the OS networking system.

Advert.dll creates a process anytime your browser is open.

This is true. This process delivers advertisements to a cache on the
users PC which are displayed while the software is being run. This works
in a similar way to how the browser works, with content and images
(including ads) being delivered to a cache on the users PC and then are
displayed in the browser window.

Advert.dll sends a list of all software listed in your registry

Completely false.

Advert.dll sends a list of all URL's you click on/visit

Completely false.

Advert.dll sends a list of all ad banners you click on

Completely false. We will of course know when you click on an ad banner
that we delivered such that we can send the user to that advertisers web
site in the same way that any ad network works.

Advert.dll will send all downloads you perform and related information

Completely false.

Advert.dll will send full time and date stamps of all your actions while
you use your browser.

Completely false.

Advert.dll contains the string "Show me the money! I want to be Mike!"

This is true. It's a text string used by the DLL. DLLs contain many text
strings which are used by the DLL itself. For example, if a particular
program displayed a window which contained the text "Hello World", then
the "Hello World" text string would be present inside that DLL.

Advpack.dll (and all comments relating to it)

Completely false. Advpack.dll is not one of our DLLs.

Amcis.dll modifies the following registry keys: (list of keys removed)

Amcis.dll will only add itself to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry key, as
does any DLL installed on your system. It simply tells Windows where to
find the DLLs your programs use.

Amcompat.tlb (and all comments relating to it)

Completely false. Amcompat.tlb is not one of our files.

Amstream.dll (and all comments relating to it)

Completely false. Amstream.dll is not one of our DLLs.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to call or
write.

Thanks,
Jeremy

 ----
Jeremy J. Newton, VP Sales
Aureate Media Corporation
http://www.aureate.com

Note 3: Discussion on the net about the Aurate Spy and Solution:

Some comments first of all about the Aureate topic that we've been
discussing over the last few days. We've got the official word from
Aureate, and seems like they have no intention of changing the way
things are. So if that's the way it's going to stay, I guess the most
important thing is how to remove this damn advert.dll that's causing
the problems. For me at least, the privacy issues almost take
secondary place to the fact that I'd like to be able to browse the net
without Netscape crashing every 20 minutes or so.

I'm lucky in that advert.dll seems to have stayed off once I've
removed it. A reader warned today though that he doesn't think you can
get rid of the trouble by just removing advert.dll and the other
files. He said he found ten references to just one of them in the Win
98 registry. He suggested removing the dll and then using Fix-It
Utilities 99 to remove all references to the program. He says that
after removing the references found in the first go, Fix-It suggests
you hit "Back" and see if removal of those references allows further
removals (like type libraries now empty due to the first go).

Another reader went straight to Aureate, telling them that he had
deleted the only free program (GO!ZILLA) from his pc, but it did not
remove all of Aureate's ad delivery files. The beleaguered Jeremy J.
Newton, VP Sales of Aureate, wrote back saying "If you are no longer
using the software, you can delete "amcis.dll" and "advert.dll" and
the connections should stop.

You can also delete the following registry keys:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Aureate\
You may also delete the following directories:
amc
amcdl
Please keep in mind that if you have other programs on your machine
that use our technology, they may cease to function without these
files and registry keys."

Which leads me to ask "what if we are NOT using any programs that use
Aureate technology?? Would we just continue having advert.dll crash
our browser and never know exactly what was going on? But looks like
we've got a solution! Once again, that top programmer Cokebottle has
come to the rescue. Earlier today he made the 'AntiAureateSpy
Remover', a program that finds and removes the SPY Files from your PC.

As Cokebottle told me, "It'll rattle ya floppy drive for a while then
go on and list all the spy files. Then you click remove and they're
gone and ya PC will be better off and EVERYTHING still RUNS 100%"

Antispy found about four of those little things on my system and
removed them. Not sure how it all works, but I assume it removes them
from the registry and they're gone for good. Great work from
Cokebottle, the first person to do something about this very serious
practice from Aureate. I'm sure all readers will join me in saying a
big thanks to Cokebottle for this!

We might let another reader have the final say on this subject: