Which is the reason we only provide training on the client's site, using the client's data and solving the client's problems.  We price higher than an "Authorized Training Site", but an engineering, trucking or cable client gets little benefit from a training session that has been populated by real estate and marketing people.

When our trainer leaves, the client is solving immediate company problems, making her boss very happy.  We have gained an insight to their operations and stand ready to help with other solutions. More Sales!!
-----Original Message-----
From: Dick Hoskins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Sinam Al-Khafaji <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, May 12, 2000 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: MI Best GIS for dollar

You are exactly right but unfortunately most of the training I have been involved in from vendors has been way over priced( several hundred $'s/day) and not very good, if not awful. Some tech person talks in a monotone and reads line by line from a poorly prepared instruction manual that has an example dataset that has nothing to do with what the student needs to be working on. Effective training has to have an evaluation component to see if the student is understanding or retaining the material so that they can move on to the next topics in the course with confidence. I have never seen this done in commercial courses.

I have found that the local community college does a far better job and charges for a 10 week course $100 or so.

The GIS industry, as like the rest of the software world, needs to re-invent training programs. I'll bet if a serious study were done of current programs that the effectiveness would be rated at less than 10%, that is, the student retains less than 10%of the material 1 day after taking the course. But the responsibility is not all the vendor's. Companies send staff to software training and their management puts nothing in place to evaluate the effectiveness of the training or do they attempt to measure whether their investment paid off, and seldom do they give the staff member time to just sit at their terminal and go through the manual chapter by chapter. ESRI is putting affordable courses on the Internet, I have no idea if they are any good or not.

Dick Hoskins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
GIS uses in public health summer course:
http://healthlinks.washington.edu/inpho/gis/course.html