I haven't seen it, but my father, an MIT alum, said on the Beantown side of the
bridge there's a sign (or was in the 40s) that says "_______ to Hell."  The
_____ is some sort of linear units.  Could it be "smoots?" I kind of remember
something prosaic like "One mile to Hell," but any town where scrod is
eatten probably measure the world in smoots.