Litea,

1. When using Grid Splicer to add building footprints to a DEM you have to
be sure to use the correct splicing method.  This will depend on which
elevation value each building footprint is attributed with i.e. the height
of the building above the ground or above sea level.  Generally it is the
building height above the ground and it sounds like from your problem that
this is the case.  In this situation you should use a Merge using the
Maximum as the calculation method.

2.  I am not sure I understand this question however you are able to insert
the building into the 3D scene as a separate layer from the DEM.  In this
way you can see your buildings and give the DEM some degree of transparency.

3.  If I understand your question correctly you can get the effect of having
the grid invisible.  For example if you wanted to show a street network file
in 3D but you don't want to see the DEM you would do the following.  First
place the grid and the street network file in the same Map window.  Next,
open the Layer Control and make the grid invisible.  Next, make a drape of
the window.  Finally, in GridView open the DEM and the corresponding drape
file. Make the DEM totally transparent which makes it invisible.

James Harvie
Vertical Mapper Product Manager
Northwood Technologies Inc.
43 Auriga Drive, K2E 7Y8