Greetings fellow listers,

For those of you that may be interested, below is a technique that I use to
overcome overlapping labels...

> Initially I had  situation where I use a table of Place names daily. When
> I labelled this layer, I would get a random set of places appearing each
> time (depending on scale of the map etc.)
>
> Most of the time I would not get the major place names as these would be
> overwritten by lesser place names.
>
> Instead of manually moving/rearranging and saving the labels each time, I
> did the following....
>
> 1) Added a Population column and a Weighting column to the source Places
> table
>
> 2) Manually went through the table and added population and weighting
> figures for each town in the table (time consuming initially) Population
> stats were obtained from local Bureau of Statistics. Weighting values were
> 1,2 & 3 representing Major, Main & Minor Place names respectively. (You
> will have to decide your own population thresholds for the weighting
> values)
>
> 3) Sort this table by population and save it.
>
> 4) Query the table from step 3 by each of the weighting values. Save each
> of these queries as a new table.
I called the 3 resulting tables Places1 representing the major towns,
Places2 representing the main towns & Places3 representing the minor towns.

> 5) Add these 3 new tables to your mapper and layer them in the following
> order with respect to each other, Places1 - bottom, Places2 - middle &
> Places3 - top.
>
> Now turn on the labels for each of these 3 tables and you will always get
> the major places labelled before the main places and the main places label
> before the minor places, no matter what zoom level or map scale, as
> Mapinfo labels its layers from the bottom layer up.
>

> Tips.
> -------------
> If you want the labels for these layer to take precedence over labels for
> other layers, make sure they are the top 3 layers.
>
> If a place represents a significant area or town but the population
> doesn't show this, give it a lower weighting in step 2 above
> (alternatively give it a dummy population)
>
> If you set the label values for each layer as follows this gives a good
> effect when printing Layouts.
>
> Places1 (Major) Font size =9 (Bold)
> Places2(Main) Font size = 7(Bold)
> Places3(Minor) Font size=7(Non Bold)
>
> Step 2 can be quite time consuming initially, but pays off 100 fold once
> setup as you will always get the labels you want without any (if only very
> minor) rearranging and without having to save label layers each time.

I hope this is of some, its not the ultimate solution,