Dear List Members:

I wish to establish the feasibility (or otherwise) of setting up a
pure-MapInfo near-real-time mapping information system.  In this system a
single MapInfo Pro user would be editing a MapInfo table held on a LAN file
server and several other MapInfo Pro users  would periodically retrieve this
table on their own desktops.

The data entry user would be adding, deleting and modifying Symbol objects
and associated alphanumeric attributes with the Symbol and Info tools and
periodically executing File+AD4-Save Table to save the edits.  The retrieval
users would periodically execute +ACI-Window+AD4-Redraw Window+ACI- to refresh their
maps and view the latest data.

Now the MapInfo Pro 5.5. Reference Guide (Changing Table Info p 187) implies
that this limited form of data sharing is supported for Mapinfo tables:  +ACI-If
you are working in a network environment,  note that only one user can edit
a Mapinfo table at a time.  An editing session begins when the first edit is
made and ends when a Save or Revert is performed.  Other uses can view the
table while editing is in progress+ADs- the edits will not be visible until the
edits are saved+ACI-.

However, when I try to test data sharing on a three-PC network (edit user,
retrieval user, file server) with a MapInfo table called realtime.tab, it
works ok for a few edits then, at File+AD4-Save time, the data entry PC puts up
the diagnostic:

   MapInfo:
   Cannot access file realtime.ID for writing.
   Please be sure that this file is not open
   in another application.
   Retry/Cancel.

Clicking Retry simply brings up the same error again. Clicking Cancel and
losing the last edit doesn't help either. As soon as another File+AD4-Save is
tried the same diagnostic reappears. Closing the retrieval user's copy of
MapInfo does not clear the error.  No further data entry is possible until
the data entry copy of MapInfo is dropped and then restarted.  Evidently the
File+AD4-Save operation is +ACI-colliding+ACI- with the Window+AD4-Redraw Window
operation,
and failing to reset its own file lock to enable a retry.

I'm using MapInfo Pro 5.5 for both edit and retrieval. The test network has
Windows/NETBEUI File Sharing, Windows /NT 4 on the file server and Windows
98 on the user workstations.

Q1.  Am I encountering a bug in MapInfo Pro 5.5?

Q2.  Has anybody ever used MapInfo Pro reliably in the data sharing mode
proposed, namely one edit user plus several retrieval users?

David M Haycraft
Information Analysis Associates  Pty Ltd
ABN 47 085 516 105
1 Cumming Place, Wanniassa, 2903
AST Capital Territory,  Australia
Phone/Fax:  61 +- 2 +- 6231 8104
Mobile: 0412 001 134
Email:  d.haycraft+AEA-acslink.aone.net.au
Web :  www.acslink.aone.net.au/actaa/iaa.htm
A MapInfo Technology Partner