Hi all

I have a problem viewing spatial data from Oracle 8i Databases in MapInfo
5.5 which has the patch installed "55026".

I am simply trying to display and query the data within MapInfo.  I have
about 118,000 records (points) to view.  This is not significant as I get
the same problems with other spatial data and of varying sizes.

The options I choose to view the data are as follows:

I connect to Oracle using a DBMS connection and the Oracle 8i connection.
Enter username, password and service.

The data I am retrieving has been made mappable and given a projection.  I
am not downloading every field.  The fields I view include the unique
numerical ID -( MapInfo doesn't seem to handle unique alphanumerical id's ).
I also include the object.

The table is entered in the SDO_GEOM_METADATA table and the MapInfo
MapCatalog.

The table is linked - I uncheck the download data (linked table) option and
the cache option.  The preferred view is no view.  On clicking OK everything
seems OK.

I can view a browser on all machines trying to access the data that I have
tested.  Some machines will display map data.  However, when I begin
navigating around the map on all machines or perform a query on some the
attributes using all selection options including the mapbasic window the
following error occurs and bombs MapInfo.

MapInfow.exe Application Error

The instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
memory could not be read

Click on OK to terminate the application
Click on CANCEL to debug the application

I have been testing this over the course of a few months and tried
re-installing MapInfo Pro 5.5 and the version of the Patch I have.
I have increased the Swap space on my machine and ensured at least 600-700
MB of hard disk space is free on my c:drive.

I am using Windows NT 4.0 Build 5 and have both Oracle 8i Client and
Enterprise Manager installed.

Has anyone experienced the same error and does anyone know of a fix?

I need to sort this problem ASAP and get to the bottom of this problem as I
have many clients wishing to build a robust business solution using this
software.

Has anyone any ideas as to what to try and is there a more current patch
than the one I am using??

PS. I have no problems connecting to data using MapX.

Best regards.

Dave Troughear
Technical Consultant

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Informed Solutions Ltd
The Old Bank
Old Market Place
Altrincham
Cheshire
WA14 4PA
+44 161 942 2000 (phone)
+44 161 942 2025 (fax)
http:\\www.informed.co.uk
"The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.  They  may not
represent those of Informed Solutions, its associates or clients."