Of course Mi loves mixed bags. The segregation of different object types in
different layers cannot be justified by MI capability of handling and
displaying them, by far. But I have found 3 reasons to promote segregation.

It may have something to do with the non-graphic part of the table: most
often, different object types correspond to different realities that are
best described by different variables. Forcing every object type to carry
exactly the same set of variables may be counter-productive and segregation
would be justified.

Do not forget that mixed bags will have some constraints on possible
treatment based on object information. e.g. updating a column with the area
of the objects can be done on sets of closed objects only, if not kaboom.
But this can be avoided by updating selections containing only the right
objects.

Finally, segregation is the only way to control effectively the visibility
of overlapping objects (given the fact that MI display order cannot be
controlled), but it might not be based on type only; smaller closed objects
might be on a higher layer than larger closed objects that would occult
them.

Jacques PARIS

e-mail    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For MapInfo support, see the Paris PC Consult enr. site  at
http://www.total.net/~rparis/gisproducts.htm