To advertising, of which I have no idea how obtrusive it could become, I
would prefer sponsorship.

It could take a very simple form. Add 4 lines in the message that is always
at the end of our mail (To unsubscribe...) that will say :

This month, the mapinfo-l site is supported by: ... and a max of 3 lines
identifying the sponsor and its coordinates.

Sponsorship will be obtained by paying a given amount per month (let us say
$25). Sponsors could buy more than a month at the time (simplification on
the administrative side) but they will be given "recognition" in alternation
with other sponsors if any are "waiting" (to avoid monopolization because
mapinfo-l is a collective enterprise).

I am sure that among us there are certainly 12 persons or companies ready to
spend a legal expense of $25 (even in US $) once a year to keep this famous
ball rolling. Keep it within ourselves and we will continue enjoying it
fully.

Jacques PARIS

e-mail    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For MapInfo support, see the Paris PC Consult enr. site  at
http://www.total.net/~rparis/gisproducts.htm