Hi all,

First, thank you to Flavio and the honest and direct way he refered to Push'n'See.

I agree with Flavio that Javascript/CSS are interesting for the client side but on the server side ...
I'd like to tell you why we are using Java and think this is a good way to go in general even if Flavio thinks that : "we do not like Java to much (heavy, slow and, for the client, it's at the end a black-box) ...".

The following text is from a brochure from Sun "Java Location Services : The new standard for location-enabled e-business":
________________________
Java is a powerful object-oriented language for developing flexible, platform-independant components for highly scalable systems that can easily interoperate over the Net. Java is also the language of choice for lightweight clients such as Web browsers. The prominent characteristics of Java language that make it well suited for Net-based location services are :
· Simplicity – Java language retains most of the power of C++, but with far less complexity.
· Object-oriented – Java language produces reusable object-oriented components.
· Robust – Java language has features to facilitate debugging and avoid error prone situations, making Java ideal for rapid prototyping and development.
· Secure – Java language can be used to produce virus-free, tamper-free systems.
· Platform-independant – Java language runs on all platforms and is optimized for portability.
· High Performance – Java language takes advantage of performance-enhancing IT features like : caching, parallelism, partitioning, and high availability.
· Familiar – Java language is familiar to a large and rapidly expanding population of developers because of its widespread acceptance and its derivation from C.
· Efficient – Javal language supports highly efficient interpretation and compilation. Its virtual machine-based organization defines a highly compact set of byte codes that can be efficiently transported in the Net environment.

It certainly looks like "propagenda" for Java but honestly, we can't disagree...

Luc Vaillancourt.

Flavio Hendry wrote:

Hi Steve Depending on the applications you want to create, there is no other way as to dive into the code, which is not to simple (a mixture of HahtTalk, VB, HTML and possibly Javascript/CSS and/or Java) ... And HahtSite is not to fun even with HTML ... To give you an idea, in "Neapoljs" (see below) there are around 4-6 man-month of development ... We chose that JavaScript/CSS way as we do not like Java to much (heavy, slow and for the client it's at the end a black-box) ... see the samples with our "Neapoljs" on http://www.mapserver.ch/KOREM (Canada) went for the MapXtreme Java, see their "Push'n'see": http://www.pushnsee.com/index2.htmlErsis (Australia) is a well using the Java-Version for their "Encounter": http://www.encounter.ersis.com/ A good collection of applications you find on: http://www.web-mapper.com Best regardsFlavio