Spanco

There is no need to set a scale when digitizing a map. The important thing is
to get your your coordinate system and control points right.

The scale on your map is the scale of its presentation, which may or may not
be the scale of its capture. This concept is the same when the map is in
mapinfo - the scale to set in MapInfo is the scale of display/presentation as
well. This is a big issue when using GIS. Is my scale of display supported by
the scale that the map was originally captured at? For example, a map
captured from 1:10,000 scale photos can easily be displayed at some smaller
scale (say 1:50,000), but could a map captured from 1:50,000 photos be
'reliably' displayed at a larger scale, say 1:10,000 ????

May i suggest that you spend some time reading an introductory cartography
book. Something such as Monmonier's "how to lie with maps" is very readable.

Hope this helps

Ian Allan