>>Besides, why is such a placement of the centroid better than the default

If you have a odd shaped object you might want to display the label within the largest area of that object.

                                      -----------------

The "ASCII" object above will have a centroid in the 'pipe' and not in center of the largest area.

One way of calculating the new centroid is by use of Vertical Mapper descriped by Russell Lawley: http://lists.directionsmag.com/discussion/read.php?f=7&i=41713&t=41285
I have used it as an exercise in a VM class and it always ends up in a big mess.......

>>Stephen, you do not state your reason for recalculating the centroid.

/Jakob