Thank you to everybody that has sent a response to this question. Most of the response contained the question ‘why isn’t the MapInfo procedure enough’. Well, we are a Transport Consultancy and what we want is a point that represents the centre of a zone in terms of the ease of transport in and out of the zone to a representative central point. That point does not actually have to be within the zone as long as it represents the centre. The MBR approach does not give a representative point, for example if the zone is triangular, but gives a point that is good enough for labelling. Therefore, the ‘balance point’, as Eric Johnson correctly calls it, is what we require.

It seems that there is no automatic MI method of doing this, so I’ll look in detail at the various suggestions and decide if the effort will be worth the reward.

Thanks again for all your suggestions,

Stephen

Stephen Marsh

Senior Consultant