-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric
Gagnon
Sent: Monday, 16 October 2006 1:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; mapinfo list
Subject: Re: [MI-L] Mapinfo capabilities

Yes, I agree..
That's why I wanted to start this discussion..
I just hope everybody will give some feedback on this issue an somebody
at MapInfo will here us.

After all we are the Mapinfo users.. and some people in this list are
real hardcore!!
So I just hope that mapinfo won't let thes GIS sectors down and will be
competitive in regards to other GIS companies that offer solutions in
these sectors.

Eric

Eric Gagnon, B.Sc.
Maptica
www.maptica.com

Doug Cubin wrote:
> Hi Eric
> Although I do use MapInfo a lot (I helped set up the UK User Group
over 10
> years ago), I do find that I can only recommend ESRI products to my
clients
> when GIS is required for "corporate" use. This is primarily because of
SDE
> and not due to any desktop functionality.  SDE (enhanced by products
such as
> ArcFM) handles multi-user environments very well - especially where
editing
> is required.  Furthermore, with ESRI latest 9.2 release of ArcGIS,
there is
> now feature-level auditing built in to the geodatabase.
Unfortunately,
> MapInfo simply cant cater for this - which is a shame because I think
> MapInfo is the best desktop GIS you can get.  The problem with MapInfo
is
> that when you have many users (especially out in the field e.g.
utility
> engineers) then you have to programmatically cater for
synchronisation.
> There are a few tools out there, but nothing that really works
seamlessly
> with the database - and this is where SDE comes in.  One of my larger
> clients is a water utility with 6m+ customers and they do have some
MapInfo
> clients.  This is fine as I just allow ArcIMS to deploy OGC WMS and
WFS
> services and one day WFS-T (ie. Transactions) will be deployed, but
when it
> comes to editing then an ESRI client is required.  SDE off the shelf
manages
> the multi-user multi-department environment really well and it is
> extraordinarily fast - searching through millions of spatial
(pipeline)
> records in milliseconds is no problem.
>
> An important note regarding AutoCAD is that by default they support
SDE
> editing.  This means that within AutoCAD you can start up the SDE
CadClient
> menu that will give u full access read/write to SDE databases.  This
is a
> very powerful feature particularly as the AutoCAD drawings themselves,
> feature by feature, can be stored within the SDE database or as a BLOB
of
> DWG.  Therefore SDE handles the whole AutoCAD editing process.
Impressive.

> Companies such as Miner and Miner http://www.miner.com/ have made full
use
> of the Geodatabase with the internal business rules, all based around
SDE,
> and developed a very powerful suite of products for the Utility
corporate
> infrastructure.
>
> There are several ways to go with this for MapInfo as far as I can
see:

> 1. Develop rival product - rulebase support for Oracle/SQL Server
Spatial
> (how about PostGIS?)
> This would be a layer that sits on top of SDO (much like SDE) and
support
> the business logic. All reading/writing would pass through this layer.
> 2. Develop full SDE API/Geodatabase support.
> If they don't want to create a rival product then MapInfo could simply
the
> SDE interface therefore opening up the utility market for third party
> developers - just like Miner and Miner.
> 3. Drive forward Open GIS Consortium
> They could very aggressively drive the Transactional support for WFS
map
> services.  MapInfo already has a very decent WMS/WFS client and if
editing
> was supported via OGC, then the backend could be SDE anyway.  ArcIMS
could
> be deploying the data or another map server.
>
> Those are my thoughts on the matter! I am sure there are some products
out
> there that do support "municipal" or "corporate" infrastructure but I
havent
> seen many.  To develop those products without an underlying
intelligent
> spatial database layer is very tricky - you have to cover all the
bases
> yourself: syncrhonisation, feature auditing, feature locking......
>
> Cheers
>
> Doug

infrastructure /
> utility  mapping.
> Esri has solutions for this.
> So does Intergraph and Autocad.
> I keep seing marketing strategies offered by mapinfo but more going
towards
> business location. (marketing, banking, insurance, etc..).
> I wonder if there's something, a MI add-on or a application that gives
more
> attention to industrial / municipal / infrastructure GIS.
>

> I hope that somebody can shed some light on this.
>
> Eric
>
> --
> Eric Gagnon, B.Sc.
> Maptica