Hi Stephanie!

As I understand your problem, I would try to solve it like this:
Set up one mapper window with the contents you need, and create a
north arrow and a scalebar to your liking. Put these in your cosmetic
layer.
Then save this as a work space, and examine the work space file for
the code that creates these cartographic objects. Look for
Set Map Layer 0 Editable
Create Text ... (or whatever that objects may follow)

As you will see, they will be positioned relative to the ground, not
to the mapper frame.
So the trick is, for each new mapper view, to recreate the arrow and
scalebar in a position relative to the mapper window. This must be done
by replacing all absolute positions with relative positions to, for
example the mapper window center.
I realise this can be hard to calculate but putting all coordinates in
a spreadsheet might help.
Also, you will probably want to erase the cosmetic layer between moves
so that they will not accidentally be visible in the adjoining view.

Another way of doing it is to use a layout window for the output. In
the layout window you could put all cartographic objects on fixed
positions in a mapper frame, and then change the map contents as you go
along. This approach of course assumes that all maps will have the same
scale, while the former suggestion could be made more flexible.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Regards, Mats.E