On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 05:11:19PM +0200, Flavio Hendry wrote:
> > Perhaps that multi-user geodatabase (similar to ArcSDE), that Doug
> > Cubin asked for a couple of days ago. Imagine if we had that today,
> > out-of-the-box, easy to use?
>
> All there! Why does MapInfo not take PostGIS and/or MySQL MyGIS and plug
> them in? Free out-of-the-internet and easy to use! And no major overhead
> like with Oracle ... and it would be the only commercial desktop GIS
> doing that (as far as I know) ...

Market size probably has a lot to do with that decision. But it sure looks
to me that there are some very cool tools for MapInfo users in that direction! I
expect that it's only a matter of time before somebody works out how to
provide MapInfo features directly over an ODBC connection to a
PostgreSQL/PostGIS database, but even without that there are good business
reasons to look into it. I had no trouble connecting a PostgresSQL database
to MapInfo, so I can now deploy a Internet-based multi-user database using
MapInfo Pro in the front end. Also, with the PG scripting capability plus
PostGIS/Geos extensions I'm even learning to do things I can't do in
MapInfo, and can see generally how the spatial capability might be built in
one day.

I'd agree with you that there are a lot of FOSS database and GIS software
tools that are useful now and getting better all the time.  Wish I had more
time to explore them!